Saturday, November 8, 2008

Flight to Ithaca

We are in Ithaca, NY visiting Steve's parents. We flew here on Thursday, via Detroit. We boarded the plane in Denver and our seats were towards the back of the plane. I was sitting by the window and Steve was in the middle, leaving an empty seat next to him by the aisle. The seat was not vacant for long. A very large older man plunked himself down next to Steve and before we could take a second breath we about gagged. This man's body odor was the worst we had ever smelled. I was smelling it pretty bad sitting 2 down from him, but poor Steve was sitting right next to this man. He said immediately his eyes were actually starting to burn from the stench and I was starting to have feelings like I have when I'm in a port-o-potty that is overdue for a cleaning. I started looking around the plane for another seat to move to and started to squirm when I realized it was a full flight. I was panicking, wondering how we'd survive 3 hours sitting next to this stinky man. Steve was looking rather blue and was rubbing his eyes. It was unbelievable how this man stank. Steve compared the strength of the smell to ammonia, it went way beyond your average B.O. Just when we thought we were doomed to be miserable the entire flight, an angel appeared from the front of the plane. This young woman, with boarding pass in hand, glanced at this old man, then at her boarding pass and said "sir, I think you are in my seat". We about screamed with delight!!! The seat he was supposed to be in was by the window, opposite of our seats!! We were thrilled beyond belief! This made the turbulence we flew through seem so minor after what we went through before even taking off!!

We have had a nice time here so far. Yesterday morning we went to the cemetery where Steve's Mom is buried and now his sister, Ruthie, is buried right next to Mom. It's a beautiful, peaceful setting in the country. It's a "green" cemetery and so natural looking. In the afternoon we went square dancing at the senior center, which was a lot of fun. I hadn't square danced in decades, since I was in Mrs. Johnson's 4th grade class! We did okay, but it was hard keeping up with all the spry seniors.

Today Olive and I went shopping and Bon Tons. It's a store similar to Dillards here. Steve and Dad played racquet ball while we shopped. Soon we're going out for what I call "lupper". It's a late lunch or early supper. It's rather rainy here but we hope it clears up to take a long walk in Enfield Glen or around the neighborhood.

No comments: