Rufous Hummingbird

We did not have a hummingbird feeder up this year. Last years leaked and another I bought at H.D. leaked even worse. Friends told us there were not that many Ruby-throated hummingbirds this year as usual, so we didn't pursue the feeders. Then we heard the Rufous Hummingbirds were back in town, our favorite hummingbird. They are quite feisty, territorial, and their shimmery copper chest is very beautiful. So, I quickly bought another feeder yesterday and hung it up. By this morning I could hear the Rufous birds battling for possession of our feeder. We've even had a few Ruby-throated at the feeder, that is until the Rufous launch their attack and chase them away. The Rufous are almost half the size of the Ruby-throated! They are great fun to watch. Steve took this top photo and I got the 2nd one off the internet.
No comments:
Post a Comment